2013 BDDC Marketing Innitiatives for 2013
The BDDC Marketing & Promotion Committee played an integral role in composing and recommending the 2013 Marketing Plan for BDDC Board Approval.
Top Challenges Identified by the Marketing & Promotion Committee:
- Not Enough Pedestrian Traffic
- Downtown Workers not shopping downtown
- Lack of Awareness of the Brampton Downtown Location
- Lack of Awareness of business location
- People don't knwo where to find parking
- Business can't afford to advertise as much as needed
- Small Business Training needed amounf the business
- Side walks and lanes aren't aesthetically pleasing for pedestrians
- Businesses close to early
- BDDC isn't communicating enough to members
The following initiatives are scheduled to be executed in 2013
- website to be redesigned and redeveloped to better suit the needs of our members
UPDATE: RFP to be submitted by end of August 2013
- input for web design will be provided by the marketing & promotions committee
Member Welcome Packages
- the BDDC has created Shop Brampton Downtown window decals, we have ordered BDDC member lapel pins and will be creating a member information pamphlet explaining the BDDC's mandate.
UPDATE: Decals and pins have been distributed to members via events and AGM information mails outs. The pamphlets have not been created. The BDDC's mandate is currently under review to suggest efficiecies with the City of Brampton. The clarity of our role in the downtown will be further solidified proving clear and consistent information for the pamphlet. We have decided to delay the creation of the pamphlet until after the review.
Thursday Night Concert Series:
- the event will continue in Gage Park and grow into Brampton Downtown
- the event will use laneway space in Brampton Downtown
- lane ways will be selected by the Marketing and Promotions committee
UPDATE: all programs have launched
Classic Cars & Legendary Star:
- the BDDC will relocate it's focus on Brampton Downtown and program the Downtown core with entertainment
UPDATE: the BDDC successfully grew the event into the downtown core this year by creating a family friendly environment through entertainment programming in partnership with the City of Brampton.
- the BDDC Will once again schedule the BDDC Farmer's Market Tent for member use.
UPDATE: ongoing, our members have been booking the use fo the tent throughout the summer to help promote their businesses.
- the BDDC will continue to invest and organize horse and carriage rides throughout the downtown core during the holiday season
UPDATE: meetings have been arrange with the Horse & Carriage provider to discuss the winter program for 2013.
Pumpkin Carving Event:
- the BDDC will continue to organize and fund the kids pumpkin carving event on the last day of the Brampton farmers market.
UPDATE: Currently being organized, set to take place on Saturday Oct 12th
- the BDDC will plan, organize and execute a 2nd annual Christmas Marketing during the holiday season
UPDATE: Heather Reppen, Interim Marketing Manager has been hired on and will be focusing attention on planning and executing the winter market plan. Briefing meetings have taken place and reports are being written.
- the BDDC will once again organize a food festival with Brampton Downtown Restaurants to coincide with the Art of Jazz festival in August
UPDATE: the 2013 Jazz Festival was cancelled this year. The BDDC is planning to organize a similar restaurant promotion surrounding the provincial Culture Days event - more info to come shortly.
- the BDDC will continue to print and distribute parking information maps to local business and customers
UPDATE: will be accomplished in September
- the BDDC will continue to foster the Host program and encourage new volunteers to participate
UPDATE: our Volunteers are still out during the Farmers Market and have been attending our various events to help out and welcome people to the downtown core.
- the BDDC will source and organize member training courses in requested topics
UPDATE: in progress. The BDDC is currently booking seminars and speakers for a fall seminar series. The seminars will take place on Sept 17, 24, Oct 1, 8 & 15 from 7pm - 9pm. We are also contracting with a retail merchandising consultant to offer one on one consultations for individual store who express interest in the program. Space is limited, we will annouce the opportunities in a new letter during the last week of August 2013.
- the BDDC will continue to invest in local events that drive traffic to Brampton Downtown
- Art of Jazz
- Rose Theatre/New Years event
- Brampton Independent Arts Festival
- Brampton Day
- Flower City Parade
- Other community events as they arise
UPDATE: these sponsorship criteria have all been met,. Since the Arts of Jazz evet had been cancelled and Classic Cars & Legendary Stars grew, the Jazz Festival Budget was reallocated to the Classic Cars & Legendary Stars operating budget.
- various marketing programs for restaurants
UPDATE: we revised the Rose Theatre ticket mailers that previously only listed fine dining establishments to include all food offerings in the downtown.
The Thursday Night Concert Series promotional Pamphlet also included a complete food offering listing and map. 5,000 were handed out to potential customers.
Ad Subsidy Program
- the BDDC will continue the Ad subsidy program that pays for 50% of advertising cost for BDDC members for BDDC organized programs.
UPDATE: as discussed this program will predominatley focus on a fall campaign to support Christmas Shopping
Advertising: Awareness Campaign
- The BDDC has set aside a budget to promote Brampton Downtown in 2013
UPDATE: spend will focus on fall, pre christmas campaign.
Parking Garage Poster:
- the BDDC will be refreshing the Brampton Downtown Promotional posters located in the various parking garages and walk ways in Brampton Downtown
Short Term Beautification Grants:
- the BDDC has put funding aside for various beautification projects such a murals
UPDATE: The BDDC has worked with the Heritage Department to promote and fund the Heritage Plaque program proving plaques with historic images of shops in the downtown core to interested BDDC members.
We are still speaking with the Heritage Dept re: a potential heritage mural in McKinney Lane.
New Street Banners:
- the BDDC will be redesigning the street banners currently seen on the lamp post in Brampton Downtown
Lane way Furniture:
- the BDDC has set aside budget to help activate the laneways in Brampton Downtown by budgeting for patio furniture for the lane ways.